The Plunge is looking for an Audience Development Director. This candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience overseeing data-driven marketing, strategic planning and audience development functions and working closely with revenue operations. The Audience Development Director will be a key part of the leadership team, reporting to the CEO. Prior management experience is required.
About The Plunge
- The only site for guys who are getting married or thinking about getting married
- Webby Award honoree – best lifestyle site and best email newsletter
- Office in downtown Manhattan (SoHo)
- Analytics, Research, & Reporting: You will oversee analytics (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Segment, Amplitude among other metrics/reporting tools), optimize all activities, and understand user behavior. You guide the interpretation of data, creating actionable insights for product enhancements and content generation. You will develop and maintain an audience growth model with actionable reporting to inform both daily and long-term decision-making.
- Positioning and headlines: You will manage the image and messaging that we broadcast to media, advertising partners and the general public. This includes writing headlines for marketing materials and sponsored content.
- Content strategy: You will work closely with our editorial team, sharing insights and making content recommendations that will boost audience growth and engagement.
- Email: You will help us manage email newsletters, identifying opportunities to grow the subscription base and optimize performance with an eye on engagement. You will lead email subscriber acquisition strategies (organic and paid) and analyze newsletter subscriber engagement and devise strategies for long-term subscriber retention and re-engagement.
- Social media: You will develop and implement social media strategy across platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, etc, and build audience engagement and steer audience to ThePlunge.com. You will experiment with ways to improve our social media best practices and work on our video distribution strategy across platforms.
- Partnerships & Outreach: You will develop deals and maintain relationships with social and digital influencers, publishers, and platforms to deliver additional content distribution and audience growth, including places like Flipboard, Google News, and Apple News. You will work closely with the CEO to evaluate and model business development opportunities.
- Product Marketing: You will manage product marketing, identifying opportunities to grow adoption and engagement of the various tools.
- SEO: You determine how to incorporate SEO best practices into product development and editorial workflow.
- Paid Marketing: You will determine the most strategic and optimized use of a paid marketing budget and manage marketing programs.
- Revenue: Work with the revenue team on fulfilling campaign requirements, especially across social media, and work closely with programmatic revenue operations.
- Industry Knowledge: You will constantly evaluate new social/digital platforms, marketing services, and ad products, maintaining up-to-date knowledge of industry trends and developments.
The Director of Audience Development should have significant digital media and/or strategic planning experience and deep expertise in analyzing online consumer behavior and turning this data into actionable recommendations.
- A background in strategic planning and/or consumer-facing digital marketing, audience development, and analytics roles with experience ideally in social media, email marketing, partnerships, SEO, and paid marketing.
- Management experience of at least one direct report or more for at least a year.
- Demonstrated track record of developing digital marketing programs that drive sustained audience growth based on data analysis.
- Strong command of Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube and a passion for social media.
- Experience with digital analytics and tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook Insights and Crowdtangle, among other tools.
- Excellent analytical skills and strong Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets/Monday.com skills.
- Superb communication skills: great grammar, punctuation, spelling and headline writing.
- The ability to work closely with creative teams and to influence and train on digital marketing principles and best practices.
- Interest in growing a consumer brand at a start-up company.
- Keen eye for the big picture, but also an enjoyment of hands-on, day-to-day operations. Creative approach to problem-solving.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field